Select Your Options
Single pack solvent-based black bitumen paint for water-proofing brick, stone, timber, concrete, metal and steel.
Guard BT is a single pack solvent-based bitumen paint for application onto a variety of substrates.
- Pack Sizes: 5 litres, 20 litres
- Colour: Black
- Gloss Level: Matt
Guard BT is used for water-proofing substrates including brick, stone, timber, concrete, metal and steel. When dry, the coating provides a cost effective waterproofing solution, which is easily repaired and recoatable. Not suitable as a decorative coating as UV exposure will cause the coating to dust and brown.
- Brush: No. Small areas and repairs only
- Roller: No. Small areas and repairs only
Conventional Spray: Yes. Not optimised - Thin up to 20% - added as approx 5%
- Airless Spray: Yes. Optimised
- Air Assisted Airless Spray: Yes. Not optimised.
For further information and guidance on application, please refer to the Data Sheet or contact us.
Drying and Curing Time
- Touch Dry: 40 minutes
- Hard Dry: 3-4 hours
- Full Cure: 24 hours
- Re-coatable: 2 hours
Drying times are based on temperatures of 20°C, lower temperatures will increase drying times. Please speak with our technical team before elevating temperatures or attempting to force cure any of our products unless already stated. Shop conditions such as having good airflow will optimise curing.
Bitumen products are not generally used as part of a system. If top coated the bitumen will likely bleed through.
- Ensure surfaces are clean, dry and free from grease and other contamination before coating.
- Thoroughly degrease and where applicable, abrade to remove rust and promote good adhesion of the coating. For optimum corrosion protection, mild steel should be blast cleaned to Sa2.5.
- Complex structures may be more effectively cleaned by HPWJ (high pressure water jetting).
- Minimal preparation is required compared to most coatings. Ensure surface is free from rust and contaminates then suitable abraded to give a key. See cleaning information.
Guard Solvent F
Guard Solvent F
Once painting has been completed, clean all equipment with above mentioned cleaning solvent. Spray equipment should be appropriately flushed through for 3-5 minutes (returning unused paint to the tin, unless thinned which should be stored in a separate tin) before replacing any used solvent with clean solvent to leave in the pump, gun and lines.
If over coating with itself, ensure surface is thoroughly cleaned and previous coating suitably abraded.
Safety PrecautionsTo avoid the risk of spillage always store and transport in an upright secure position. Materials are hazardous and can also be flammable therefore appropriate precautionary measures must be taken including the use of gloves, glasses and recommended P.P.E in accordance with the material safety data sheets (MSDS).
Please refer to the product Data Sheet and Material Safety Data Sheets for full details regarding the safe use and storage of this product. We also offer free technical advice – click here to contact us.